When building on top of your existing home there are a few things that you should consider:
Engage an architect or draftsperson to produce design drawings at the start to understand what is realistic. Here are some questions you could raise with your architect:
- How high can my second storey ceiling go?
- How deep do my stairs need to be?
- How can I maximise natural light flow?
- Can I plan according to the views?
- What can I do to make my new upstairs level feel bigger?
Make sure you have adequate insurance protection. Most home and contents insurance (policies) do not include damage to the existing property when it is under construction. SpinRyde has a complete contracts works policy that covers all new work, however it does not cover the existing property. We recommend that you extend your current policy to include your existing structure.
Doing your own due diligence. Prior to renovating there are a few things you can do that could save you money and time during your renovation.
- A termite inspection may be required, if you live in older leafy suburbs. Once the new renovation has begun, you do not want to be finding out that there is a large termite nest undermining your structure.
- Matching your existing doors, windows and exterior paint to the existing style of your home. If you would like the upstairs renovation to match your existing downstairs style, you will need to find similar fittings to match. Depending on the age of your current home, this may take some time to find the right match.
- Tiles, fittings and floor coverings take time to look at and decide upon. Give yourself enough time to do this research so that you are not rushed at the last minute.
- Plan for any future items that may need installing. Ducted air-conditioning units require installing inside the roof area. If you plan on installing such a unit, you will need to ensure your design allows space for this item.
With over 30 year’s experience on home renovations SpinRyde can help you from the planning stages, throughout your renovation to the completion. Call us now for a chat 1300 SPINRYDE.